Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary for France, Italy, Switzerland, England

Search

Itinerary for France, Italy, Switzerland, England

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2024, 05:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The point about cruises v. flights... If this is the one and only European trip, it's possible they feel that the trans-Atlantic cruise is part of the overall experience... the perceived romance of the idea, something they've always wanted to do, possibly replicating experiences their parents had "back in the day," etc. Some people absolutely LOVE cruising and would rather cruise than fly.

I think we have to let it go... Especially if this trip is actually already underway. The initial post mentioned arriving Barcelona May 12th but didn't say which year. She wouldn't be the first poster to ask for advice as they're driving to the airport.
Old May 19th, 2024, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The OP said the trip is in 2025. Since they have such specific dates for the cruises, I got the impression those were already booked, although, of course, I don't know that for sure.
Old May 20th, 2024, 03:00 AM

Hi, first, while the op has not posted this alone does not mean they are not reading the thread from time to time.

As susanp notes, travelnerd in post 4 asked if this were a last minute advice request or for next year, and in post 6 the reply was, for 2025.. If that is the case, the op may ( may) have put down a deposit but not likely the entire fare. So it might still be cheaper to walk from the deposit then to try to work this trip using barcelona and southampton as gateways.

I agree many people love cruises but we can only proceed on the basis of what we are actually told, which was the cruise was for transportation purposes. The moderator assumed this as well which is why they moved the thread to the europe and not the cruise forum.

I have Learned quite a bit as i said, just from thinking thru this puzzle. I have idly wonfered about whether we would ever sail just once instead of fly, now i realize that is not so simple an idea.

Susanp, yes, rick steves you do have to handle bags between bus and hotel but generally no need to do so while on the road, unless there is a planned train or rail leg.

Old May 20th, 2024, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by SusanP
The OP said the trip is in 2025. Since they have such specific dates for the cruises, I got the impression those were already booked, although, of course, I don't know that for sure.
I believe a cruise can be cancelled up to 6 months before travel. Assuming the OP couple are retired, traveling offseason to Europe is so much more desirable. March is my favorite. The weather is best and the crowds are tolerable.

If OP couple can afford a cruise and 25 day land vacation, then they have the budget to travel twice and to break this trip up into two manageable 2-3 week trips.

The very best way to experience Europe is to choose an area, such as Rome and Florence, and stay in an Airbnb with a washing machine. Take day trips by train (without luggage). There is something about living in a place that feels magical, especially before and after the cruise passengers have left.