Search

Fourth trip to Japan … new city/town ideas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2024, 11:47 PM
THR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fourth trip to Japan … new city/town ideas

Just booked for my fourth trip (really, third proper as one was just a couple of days in transit).

I’ve been to so many places now I’m not sure where to go next. Been to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Takayama, Nara, Kanazawa, and lots of day trips.

Any other recommendations? Hokkaido? Fukuoka? Hire a rental car?

Two weeks to fill!
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 03:13 AM

Lots to see and do! I’m only on my second trip and I wish I had more time! Check out my current planning thread - I’ve decided on a few places in Kyushu and Shikoku. Tripplanner is currently planning an amazing trip to Tohoku (it’s very tempting!). There are so many interesting planning threads on the board right now, I recommend you go through some of them and see what appeals to you. Look at some of the threads by valgachi, who’s taken numerous trips. Look at Mara’s and mrwunrfl’s recommendations on other posters’ threads.

With a car, Kyushu is a very popular place to explore, with a few cities worth exploring (ie, Fukuoka, Nagasaki) as well as lovely scenery.

But really, there are so many different options, it’ll be hard to narrow it down!
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 05:48 AM

I've always wanted to return to Sapporo and wander through Odori Coen again in the fall/winter. Years back, I'd visited Memanbetsu, and flown down to Sapporo.

Any interest in the Okinawa and the Kerama Islands for either water sports, a beach resort, WWII history, whale watching? Okinawa is becoming increasingly easy for English-speaking tourists to visit. It's already hugely popular for Asian tourists.

I watch NHK World and JME tv (has a 30-day free trial now), and there are a few travel programs.
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 06:56 AM

when is your trip?
how many nights in Japan?
onsen, castles, shrines/temples, sumo, hiking, yakyu?
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 04:34 AM
THR
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
when is your trip?
how many nights in Japan?
onsen, castles, shrines/temples, sumo, hiking, yakyu?
5-18 November so roughly 11 full days.

Onsen, shrines, castles and activities like sumo and yakyu yes (been to Tokyo but never seen the latter two yet). Not really hiking unless it’s just easy day trips as won’t bring gear.

Thanks all for your suggestions and the links. I have some threads to read!
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 08:26 AM

That will be during the Kyushu Basho, the grand sumo tournament in Fukuoka. This is a lot of fun, I have attended twice. A bonus to the wrestling are the displays of Hakata dolls in the lobby. The NPB season will be over and it looks like the Japan Series ends Nov. 3. I heard that there is college ball at that time. There is some good (large purses) horse racing at Oi (Tokyo City Race Course) on one night in early November, might be the 1st or 8th this year. The track is at a Tokyo Monorail stop. I have not been there.

>> Hokkaido? Fukuoka?
Yes. Could be both.

Two years ago I flew Tokyo to Sapporo for a few nights with day trip to Otaru, then an overnight in a ryokan hotel in Noboribetsu Onsen. Then bus to airport and flew to Fukuoka for a few nights with a side-trip to a traditional ryokan in Beppu, back to Fukuoka and then flew to Tokyo. All nonstop flights.

Last year, I arrived Japan in Fukuoka. Explored Kyushu and then flew from Kumamoto to Akita via HND. Eventually to Hyabusa shinkansen from Aomori to Tokyo.

Using a rental car in Hokkaido or Kyushu is an excellent idea, depending on your itinerary.
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 09:54 PM

Based on your interests in onsen, shrines/castles and sumo, I'd recommend spending a few nights in Fukuoka during your trip.

The sumo tournament there during your dates will be exceptional. The city itself has a lovely, more laid-back vibe compared to Osaka or Tokyo. You mentioned being in Kanazawa before, and it has a similar feeling.

You'll also be close to Beppu, which has some incredible onsen baths right in the city. Renting a car would allow you to easily take a day trip there.

It's also an excellent central spot to explore more of Kyushu. Fukuoka would be a unique way to close out your next Japan adventure.