transportation questions

Search

transportation questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2024, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transportation questions

we land at 4pm into haneda. wanted to take limousine bus to our hotel in Yanaka but think we land too late. what other options do we have to get to our hotel? how expensive wilt taxi be? it will be a Saturday and we are staying at Sawanoya Ryokan in Tokyo.

Second question-I will buy the Setouchi plass on the JR site. So I can only buy it 30 days prior to our picking it up correct? The day we pick it up IS NOT the same day we will activate it. we will pick it up at Haneda (assuming JR office is open). But picking it up and making reservations, this does not activate it, correct? We won't do that for another week plus.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

and on the JR website it lists exchange stations. Haneda nor Kyoto train station are listed so how do I get these passes after I have purchased them?
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 12:22 PM

This input is based on other JR regional passes,. not JR West. Am pretty sure, though, that you need to pick it up at a JR West location.

The 30 days sounds right You should be able to buy online, specify the validity date and book seat reservations on/after that date.
West Japan Railway Company - Setouchi Area Pass Information (westjr.co.jp)

The JR Wet region is shown on the map at the following link. Note that Hokuriku region is JR West. That is from Toyama west to Kanazawa and south to Kyoto. I think you could pick up the pass in that area even thought it is not useful in Hokuriku. But you will probably get it in Kyoto or Osaka.
West Japan Railway Company - Travel Information(HOME) (westjr.co.jp)

No worries on the timing.

That ryokan has good access info. You can get an idea of taxi fare online or ask them. Google maps says 25 km drive. I didn't see limo buses to Nippori or Ueno, but there is one for Akihabara.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

So when I went on the JR site for this pass it did not list Kyoto or Haneda for pickup. It did list Osaka but hoping I don't need to go to Osaka or Shin Osaka just for this. How can I find out?
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 12:40 PM

Kyoto Station 6:30-21:00

West Japan Railway Company - Search by Rail Pass exchange, receipt, or purchase location (westjr.co.jp)

The all areas search finds no Hokuriku options.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Mar 25th, 2024 at 12:43 PM.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 12:41 PM

This is a great question as I’m thinking about getting a regional pass when we go next fall. My understanding is that the pass has to be picked up at one of the stations in the covered area:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_setouchi.html
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

this is weird bc on another site it did not list kyoto station but others. I will rely on this and pick it up in kyoto upon arrival.

so it also seems from the jr site that if you are ordering from jr directly that there is no 30 day wait period. but i just want to confirm that the day i get it is NOT the day it is activated correct? again thanks. all.
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

So anohter question please- I can either purchase this pass through a travel agent outside of Japan or through JR West online. I dont see a limit on when I can purchase directly from JR online but do see I can't reserve until a month from boarding. It is silent on exchange dates but says it can be exchanged in Kyoto. If I pick it up on our arrival in Kyoto, do my 7 days run from this date or when I actually use it for the first time?

So is the only way to reserve in advance without fees is to purchase directly and on line?
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 04:31 PM

You can purchase - pay for - that pass online a month in advance from JR West. You would get an exchange order from JR West. The date you choose when you purchase is the first day of validity for the exchange order. It is good for 90 days from that date. On the day you exchange for the pass you can specify the pass validity start that day or a future date (that is within the validity of the exchange order).
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
You can purchase - pay for - that pass online a month in advance from JR West. You would get an exchange order from JR West. The date you choose when you purchase is the first day of validity for the exchange order. It is good for 90 days from that date. On the day you exchange for the pass you can specify the pass validity start that day or a future date (that is within the validity of the exchange order).

Sorry i am being think here. So i can purchase a month in advance from when? what date? So I can choose the effective day from when the 7 days start? So I exchange the order for the actual pass in Kyoto but can then pick a later effective date for the 7 day period to run?
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 11:00 AM

Read it again.

your trip is in May and the voucher is good for 90 days. you could buy it today to be valid tomorrow. or april 27. or you can wait. in fact u could just buy one at the Kyoto TIC
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

i was told i could not buy this pass in japan. can i just buy it there at kyoto station?
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 09:00 AM

There are three purchase options on the webpage: West Japan Railway Company - Setouchi Area Pass Information (westjr.co.jp)

1) Purchasing Exchange Order through a Travel Agency outside Japan
I suggest you call one of the agents to get info on getting a pass through them. Find out if you can do the exchange on one day and have the pass start on a future date.

2) Purchasing a pass via JR-WEST ONLINE TRAIN RESERVATION

I started the process of buying the pass from JR West online. I specified the start date as March 31. The result was not what I expected, it included this info
22,000 YEN Setouchi Area Valid from 31 March to 6 April

Meaning that the actual pass would be valid for those 7 days. I was wrong in saying that you would be buying the voucher valid for 90 days.

3) Purchasing from a travel agency
  • · Passes can be purchased from a travel agency in Japan.
    · Sales locations: Click here for details
    · A rail pass is purchasable up to 1month in advance of the first day of use.
That seems to be the same condition as JRW online: specify the pass validity period at the the time of purchase. This is the Kyoto TIC (Tourist Information Center) option that I mentioned.
West Japan Railway Company - Search by Rail Pass exchange, receipt, or purchase location (westjr.co.jp)
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 11:22 AM

How to get to your hotel (ryokan)

Hello,
If you arrive at 4:00 p.m., you can probably be at the arrival gate by 5:00 p.m., which is not late at all.
Though I believe there are limo buses available, I will teach you how the average Japanese person travels from the airport.
You can find it in Google Maps route service, you set the starting point as Haneda International Terminal 3 and the arrival point as your accommodation name. (or the address).
First, take the Tokyo Monorail to Hamamatsucho Station (the last stop). And change trains to Yamanote-line for Tokyo and Ueno directions and get off at Nippori Station.
Google Maps says it is an 18 minute walk from the station to your hotel, I think it might be tough for you to walk with luggage, especially after a long flight. So I recommend taking a taxi. Nippori is big station and taxis are always available till late night.
From the airport to Nippori station it will cost you 700 yen (about $5) and from Nippori station to the hotel is 1.8 km, so I assume you can probably get there for less than 1000 yen (about $7).
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

it does not even seem there is an email listed on the JR site to ask questions. I am not sure why this is so complicated. I can purchase from a third party but will incur a $30 FEDEX charge and also can't make advance reservations. What have others done to buy a regional pass?
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl

There are three purchase options on the webpage: West Japan Railway Company - Setouchi Area Pass Information (westjr.co.jp)

1) Purchasing Exchange Order through a Travel Agency outside Japan
I suggest you call one of the agents to get info on getting a pass through them. Find out if you can do the exchange on one day and have the pass start on a future date.

2) Purchasing a pass via JR-WEST ONLINE TRAIN RESERVATION

I started the process of buying the pass from JR West online. I specified the start date as March 31. The result was not what I expected, it included this info
22,000 YEN Setouchi Area Valid from 31 March to 6 April

Meaning that the actual pass would be valid for those 7 days. I was wrong in saying that you would be buying the voucher valid for 90 days.

3) Purchasing from a travel agency
  • · Passes can be purchased from a travel agency in Japan.
    · Sales locations: Click here for details
    · A rail pass is purchasable up to 1month in advance of the first day of use.
That seems to be the same condition as JRW online: specify the pass validity period at the the time of purchase. This is the Kyoto TIC (Tourist Information Center) option that I mentioned.
it does not even seem there is an email listed on the JR site to ask questions. I am not sure why this is so complicated. I can purchase from a third party but will incur a $30 FEDEX charge and also can't make advance reservations. What have others done to buy a regional pass?