Search

Considerations for first trip with kids - Ireland, Scotland, Paris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2024, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Green83
A few thoughts:
Add one night to Paris if you can. Your arrival day is still technically a travel day because you need to go through customs, travel into Paris from the airport, etc. Your second day is your jet lag day. Look for an Airbnb with washing machine for six. I have always wanted to stay in an apartment with an Eiffel Tower view to see it lit up at night. I did a search and found several affordable ones. Also if you have time, the family tour of the Louvre is very good.

A travel day from Paris to Edinburgh is more manageable than to Inverness, which could have one or two layovers. Inverness can easily be done as a day trip. Then you don’t need to worry about luggage. Edinburgh is one of the most gorgeous towns in the world so it makes the best base. See the Holyrood House for Mary Queen of Scots bedchambers etc. Edinburgh has great teen girl shopping. It’s also a better location if it rains.

Two weeks is a long time to travel with a carry-ons. Bring small luggage.
Thank you! I will look and see if we might be able to get one more day of leave for my husband to push back our arrival into Paris. Not sure what that will do to the flights, but I'll definitely keep it in mind. We do want to go to the Louvre. We know the kids won't last long but they do both want to see a few things they know are there. I'll have to look for an Airbnb again now that we have 6. I did a quick search earlier and wasn't quite sure where to even look - still need to dig in there.

Is Edinburgh a fairly walkable city? Trying to figure out how long we should keep a rental car for.

Thanks again! Lots more to look into
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Don’t try to do just carryons. Wheeled luggage with a small piece, also wheeled if possible (for carry on) that attaches to it works really well. As you go through airports you will really appreciate those wheels.
Originally Posted by janisj
Not really. Many people are able to travel carry on only. I always do - whether 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 months. And whether a casual/countryside trip, a fancy 'dress-up' city splurge, or a combo of both. Haven't checked a suitcase (other than for mandatory gate checks) in 25+ years.

However if they do end up renting two cars, then small-ish checked bags (24 inches max) would be OK. If they only have one car they need to pack a lightly as possible.
Didn't see sassafras' post. By carry-on only I do mean a small wheeled suitcase. My go to is a 22 inch soft-sided. But when I'll be using RyanAir, other low cost carrier, etc or on smaller commuter sized planes with tiny overheads I use an 18 inch roallaboard and a larger than normal 'personal item' - a tote bag instead of a smaller handbag.
Thank you both! Yes, I plan to do small, rolled carryon for all of us if we can. That's how we usually travel if at all possible but this will be a little longer trip and in a season where we'll likely need layers, so I'm going to do a practice pack before we really go to make sure I can make it all work. I need to weigh it all, too, as I'm not used to weighing my carry-on so no idea what we usually are at with that.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
I've done a bit of research on the flying options including heading straight to Inverness vs. Edinburgh, and how Ryanair stacks up against Aer Lingus for Edinburgh > Dublin.

It's noteworthy that Ryanair fly from Edinburgh to Shannon only 3 days a week, which given your outline schedule really wouldn't work for you. Even though the drive across Ireland from Dublin airport to Co. Clare (assuming Doolin area) will take half a day, I think flying into and out of Dublin makes more sense.

There's no question that the LCCs (low cost carriers like Transavia and Ryanair) are likely to be cheaper in basic cost, even adjusted to allow for a checked bag as well as a carryon (and note their carryon definitions are minimal; a standard rollaboard is likely to incur a fee similar to a checked bag's.)

It comes down to time management, and what your time's worth. Doing a driving round trip from Edinburgh to Inverness is certainly doable, but the quickest way north, using the M90 and A9, doesn't touch Loch Ness and in my view is rather boring, with a fair amount of truck traffic. Google says it's just over 3 hours, which is likely if you're driving a Lamborghini at midnight, but for most mortals it's a good deal slower. By the time you've picked up the vehicle and navigated through the roundabouts (which can be a little unsettling for the unfamiliar) you're killing off most of a day just to get to Inverness so you can turn around and head toward the loch and points south and west.

Map - https://maps.app.goo.gl/vi9m2hbL2CP6zKk39

In my mind, that's a day that you could spend in Edinburgh after driving one way south from Inverness via Loch Ness, Glenfinnan, Glens Coe and Etive, etc. To me, gaining a day in Scotland's magnificent capital is well worth whatever marginal cost might be saved (maybe $100 per person tops) by doing the return car trip.

The flights from Paris to Inverness via Amsterdam are quick and reasonably comfortable. The total travel time, counting a plane change at AMS, is around 4 1/2 hours; given the 1-hour time change between the continent and UK, it's basically a morning. The competitive (in cost) flights to Edinburgh depart in the late afternoon, thus would require another overnight before heading north in the car. Hope that makes sense.

For what it's worth, here's a video of the Amsterdam - Inverness flight on KLM Cityhopper. Note the 2 x 2 seating, which will be way, way more comfortable than the sardine seat plan on the likes of Transavia or Ryanair.

Note the scary scenes of all the crowds at the beginning of the video wouldn't apply to you as you'd be transiting "airside," i.e. inside security at AMS.

Just my view of course.
I'm sure I missed something but the only thing I found on KLM was going to take 10.5 hours. I'll have to check again and see what I can find. Thank you for the video!
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by BDP21
Is Edinburgh a fairly walkable city? Trying to figure out how long we should keep a rental car for.

Yes, very walkable. Most of the landmarks are within a mile or so from each other. There are some hilly areas of the city as well, like around Edinburgh castle, for instance. But manageable.

Edited to add: there are also a lot of steps in the closes (alley ways between main streets) that can have some steep steps. I went to Edinburgh in 2018, so my memory might be poor. Hopefully janis or other fodorites can expand further.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; Mar 14th, 2024 at 07:47 PM.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 08:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
. . . Is Edinburgh a fairly walkable city? Trying to figure out how long we should keep a rental car for.

OK -- we need to talk about Edinburgh It is very walkable -- it just seems that everything is uphill LOL. There are three main areas of interest to visitors -- the Old Town (The Castle, St Giles Cathedral, Museum of Scotland, the medieval city in general) which runs alon a mountain ridge. Very walkable since it is one main east-west street with tributaries running off and runs from the castle at the very top downhill to Holyrood Palace at the bottom. Most of the historic sites you'll have time for will be up here.

Then he New Town, the mostly Georgian area that runs from Princes Street/Princes Street Gardens below the Castle towards the north. This area is essentially flat -- or flat-ish and quite walkable.

And finally the waterside area along at the north side of the city along the Forth. Leith, Royal Yacht Britannia, seafood restaurants, etc. And again this area is totally walkable.

Walking between them isn't so easy because no matter where you are it seems to be uphill to where you are going

But . . . no matter what you do NOT want a car IN Edinburgh. The buses are great, there is a tram from the airport to the very center of the city, and taxis aren't that expensive. Just have a car(s) for the trip from or to Inverness.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 08:03 PM

Oh -- I was interrupted and didn't see Travel_Nerd's post.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 08:07 PM

It's all good, Janis. You provided specific details much more thoroughly.
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travel_Nerd
Yes, very walkable. Most of the landmarks are within a mile or so from each other. There are some hilly areas of the city as well, like around Edinburgh castle, for instance. But manageable.

Edited to add: there are also a lot of steps in the closes (alley ways between main streets) that can have some steep steps. I went to Edinburgh in 2018, so my memory might be poor. Hopefully janis or other fodorites can expand further.
OK -- we need to talk about Edinburgh It is very walkable -- it just seems that everything is uphill LOL. There are three main areas of interest to visitors -- the Old Town (The Castle, St Giles Cathedral, Museum of Scotland, the medieval city in general) which runs alon a mountain ridge. Very walkable since it is one main east-west street with tributaries running off and runs from the castle at the very top downhill to Holyrood Palace at the bottom. Most of the historic sites you'll have time for will be up here.

Then he New Town, the mostly Georgian area that runs from Princes Street/Princes Street Gardens below the Castle towards the north. This area is essentially flat -- or flat-ish and quite walkable.

And finally the waterside area along at the north side of the city along the Forth. Leith, Royal Yacht Britannia, seafood restaurants, etc. And again this area is totally walkable.

Walking between them isn't so easy because no matter where you are it seems to be uphill to where you are going

But . . . no matter what you do NOT want a car IN Edinburgh. The buses are great, there is a tram from the airport to the very center of the city, and taxis aren't that expensive. Just have a car(s) for the trip from or to Inverness.
Oh -- I was interrupted and didn't see Travel_Nerd's post.
Originally Posted by Travel_Nerd
It's all good, Janis. You provided specific details much more thoroughly.
Thank you both so much! This is so helpful. I'll definitely look at bus schedules as my son does have some mobility issues. Some walking is fine but lots of steep steps will likely be a no go for him.

So, if we don't get into EDI until almost 6 would you suggest we spend that evening in Edinburgh itself or renting a car/s and staying on the outskirts to head north the next morning? Then stay one night in Inverness maybe before heading back down to Edinburgh on the 13th (making the stops along the way that have been suggested - is that one day or would we need an overnight somewhere there?). Then we could return the car/s and spend 2 nights in Edinburgh center, exploring the city the next day, before heading back to the airport and to Dublin on the 15th?
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 06:02 AM

If it were me, personally, I'd just stay near the airport after you land at EDI rather than even attempt to go into the city that night. That way you will be close to car rental pick ups the next morning and also not have to hassle with getting out of the city. Save your Edinburgh time in one chunk.

Please note that I have never driven in Scotland or rented a car. But logistcally speaking, this is what I would do. YMMV.

And I defer to Janis and others who are much more well-versed in Scotland and Edinburgh than myself if they have a better logistical plan for you or may suggest a good place to stay that will fit your needs.
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 07:04 AM

Note: Inverness is 30 minutes north of Lochness.

Here is the tour we took from Edinburgh to Lochness. It takes a circular route through Glencoe/Highlands with great commentary and several stops. The tour allows plenty of time for the boat tour and souvenir shopping.

It’s cheaper, safer (unless you are comfortable driving on the left side of the road with crazy roundabouts), more comfortable, and less hassle than renting a car and it’s more authentic for the kids to hear the Scottish accent and learn about this very unique country from an expert.

https://www.heartofscotlandtours.co....the-highlands/

Last edited by Green83; Mar 15th, 2024 at 07:07 AM.
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 07:10 AM

Looking at google flights the best options for 11/10 from Paris to Inverness are Air France/KLM via AMS and BA via LHR, both around £135 before extras. The former is a morning flight taking 4.5 hours in total. The BA flight is later afternoon and would take 5.5 hours. Both are from CDG. There is a cheaper EasyJet option via Bristol but it's two separate tickets. You do have nearly 4 hours in Bristol so the risk of missing the connection is low but nevertheless is there. That's £113 + extras and would take 6.5 hours.

Even if RyanAir is an option on that route I would be wary as they fly from Beauvais, which is quite a way out of Paris. EasyJet is the 10th largest airline in the world on passenger numbers (RyanAir is 3rd).
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 07:22 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm sure I missed something but the only thing I found on KLM was going to take 10.5 hours. I'll have to check again and see what I can find. Thank you for the video!
The 4 1/2 hour itinerary comes up in first place if you search on Expedia or with Google flights.

It may not come up immediately on KLM's website because the first segment (CDG-AMS) is on a KLM codeshare flight operated by Air France. Air France and KLM are essentially the same airline having merged 20 years ago.

As of this morning, KL2437, aka AF1444 departs CDG at 9:15 AM on Oct. 11 and arrives at AMS at 10:40 AM. KL903 departs AMS at 12:00 PM and arrives at INV at 12:40 PM (after an hour's time change.) According to Google the one-way fare is US$175. Any checked bags will be transferred; you won't see them until bag claim and customs at Inverness.

If you want to go later in the day, there's a British Airways flight to Heathrow that departs CDG at 4:20 PM, connecting (after a 2 1/2 hour gap) to a flight from LHR to INV that departs at 7:20 PM, arriving at INV at 8:55 PM. As of now, that combination of flights is $3 more than the AMS connection. You'd go through UK border controls at LHR (but customs still at INV) hence the longer transit time.
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 08:11 AM

Just a quick note -- If you arrive at EDI in the early evening, I'd just stay at or near the airport, collect the car the next morning and head north. to Inverness. If you arrive earlier in teh day I'd maybe stay near Princes Street/St Andrews Square/Waverley Station since the tram from the airport goes right there. Then you could take a bus or taxi up the hill to Old Town.

For your time IN Edinburgh, depending your son's mobility issues he may have problems in the Old Town and at the Castle. Cobblestones some steep-ish walkways etc. No need to check bus schedules ahead of time really - buses cover most of the city and some routes run every 10 minutes -- some every 20 or 30 mins. If you end up staying out of the city centre then the B&B or hotel will almost certainly include bust route info on there website. BTW -- most buses 'kneel' so even with mobility issues boarding won't be an issue.
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 11:03 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Kids have expressed wanting to see HP filming locations if we can while in Scotland, so I will definitely mention that about Etive. Thank you!
Should have mentioned earlier that Glen Coe shows up in many HP scenes - it's one of the major backgrounds in shots from Hogwarts. Of course, it and everything else is much modified by CGI in many scenes, but it's there. Here it is in the background as Family Malfoy bugs out after the Battle of Hogwarts.

Old Mar 16th, 2024, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! So much to absorb but it is all helpful. I'm working to coordinate everything with my parents now that they are along for the ride! I think we'll probably end up flying into EDI because the price difference is quite a bit when considering 6 tickets. I'll keep an eye on the flights though and see if we can manage to get any great deals. The kids will love when we point out which scenes were filmed where - having that picture will definitely be fun for them!

Thank you all again! I've spent hours the last couple of days scouring our lodging options for the first two legs (Paris and Scotland) so I may have more questions as we continue trying to figure things out but I so appreciate everyone taking the time to help me as I start the detailed planning.