Kids Jet lag (California to Florida)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying from California to Florida with 5yo, 7yo. I wonder if I should plan late start for our first few days of the trip due to jet lag? Ideally we want early start to get more stuff done (especially in winter) but wonder if they (and to less extent us) be too tired?
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 03:27 AM
J62

Depends on what the plans are, and what you mean by early, and what you mean by "get more stuff done"

If "get more stuff done" means the kids won't get several hours of quiet/down time for a nap & refresh, then be prepared for a daily melt down. Do you want this trip to "get more stuff done", or have an enjoyable family vacation. The two are in many ways mutually exclusive with kids that age. In my experience, any day that has more structure needs to be followed by a completely (100%) unstructured day.

If your plans mean going to the beach and playing in the sand, then an early start is better so you avoid the mid day sun. If it means driving a distance then sitting on a tram ride around a swamp, then you might as well just let the kids nap in the car with one parent.

The samerule of thumb will apply to "car or train travel fatigue". If you plan to spend hours one day moving across the state, then want to get an early start the next day at WDW to beat long lines, then god bless you....

Old Jan 4th, 2024, 06:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by J62
Depends on what the plans are, and what you mean by early, and what you mean by "get more stuff done"

If "get more stuff done" means the kids won't get several hours of quiet/down time for a nap & refresh, then be prepared for a daily melt down. Do you want this trip to "get more stuff done", or have an enjoyable family vacation. The two are in many ways mutually exclusive with kids that age. In my experience, any day that has more structure needs to be followed by a completely (100%) unstructured day.

If your plans mean going to the beach and playing in the sand, then an early start is better so you avoid the mid day sun. If it means driving a distance then sitting on a tram ride around a swamp, then you might as well just let the kids nap in the car with one parent.

The samerule of thumb will apply to "car or train travel fatigue". If you plan to spend hours one day moving across the state, then want to get an early start the next day at WDW to beat long lines, then god bless you....
I agree. The best advice I have is for NO screen time (TV, phone or games) in the hour before bed time. The blue light keeps the brain excited and makes it harder to get to sleep. Do not wake the kids. Let them sleep as long as they need. If they want to get up at 10AM Eastern time, remember that it is only 7AM Pacific time.
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 01:48 AM

OR as is often suggested when going to Europe, wake up on your time and go but the first night go to bed early. It really is hard to know how kids will react to time change I think.
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 10:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gretchen
OR as is often suggested when going to Europe, wake up on your time and go but the first night go to bed early. It really is hard to know how kids will react to time change I think.
Ditto. Unless the kids have done a lot of long distance travel you really have no idea how it will affect them. (And even if they HAVE lots of travel under their belts -- every trip is different). You'll have to play it by ear IMO/IME
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 08:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There is no one size fits all answer. I'm sure kids (same as adults) react differently to time change (jet lag). Some people doesn't phase them. Some it really knocks them out.

I would let the kids be your guide. It's not going to be much fun if you are forcing them to get up at 7am to 'get stuff done'... remember that's only 4am California time. At least the first morning, I'd let them sleep as late as they want to.
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 12:58 PM

I took my kids to Istanbul Turkey and I've also travelled the other way to Australia. When you land if it's outside of their normal sleep schedule let them take a mini nap... not too long or you will end up with jet lagged kids. Not fun.... I've gotten headaches not just tired body from jet lag. I also do what I call grounding when I land. I literally get my feet in the grassy ground and move around (beach or playground or swim area is good too). My youngest couldn't ever get on the full new schedule and she missed most meals by falling asleep. I just let her go as I didn't want to push her but made sure she was well fed in the mornings and leading up to restaurant dinners out, even if she did crash at the restaurant. Good Luck!