Another California trip (far north)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2023, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a work (driving) trip with field work, so limited sightseeing possibilities, but I always try to fit in whatever I can.

We will likely have extra daylight hours driving Sacramento to Arcata, so which part of the Avenue of the Giants is the best, or if there's time just drive the whole thing? I have seen the Founders Grove but would make a slight detour for another exceptional grove, short hike probably OK.

Same afternoon would like to fit in an ocean visit, probably something between Arcata and Trinidad, is there a good place to walk with sand or a shore trail? Coworker has not seen the Pacific Ocean.

Any interesting stops between Willow Creek and Redding? This is already a busy day but anything right on the highway or just off. I recall this is a pretty highway generally. A dinner recommendation for Redding appreciated.

Assuming we have 3 hours of daylight between Alturas and Sacramento (Woodland), is this enough time to squeeze in a visit to Lassen Peak? Is snow likely? Last time I drove to Alturas in October there was falling snow and bitter cold.

Old Oct 10th, 2023, 10:18 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Regarding the Willow Creek to Redding drive, there's an historic Chinese temple in Weaverville, one of 3 in Northern California, the other 2 in Marysville & Oroville.

From the website: "The temple is the oldest continuously used Chinese temple in California. On display are art objects, pictures, mining tools, and weapons used in the 1854 Tong War. This Taoist temple is still a place of worship and a fascinating look into the role played by Chinese immigrants in early California history. The temple was built in 1874 as a replacement for another that had burned."

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=457

To get something of an idea, this is my report on the Marysville temple, the Weaverville one on my short list for drives not too far north of home.

https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/bok...lle-california

Old Oct 10th, 2023, 10:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
When is the trip?

As for he Ave. of the Giants -- the entire distance is worthwhile. Drive as much of it as your time allows. Little River State Beach is 3 or 4 miles south of Trinidad (not to be confused with Little River in Mendocino County)

Alturas to Lassen is close to a three hour drive by itself so with 3 hours of daylight you'd be cutting it very close -- snow is possible any time from here on out . . .

I agree re Weaverville/the Chinese Temple. Bear in mind that 299 can be a pretty slow drive what with logging trucks, construction and so on. Right now there are two short sections of one-way controlled traffic so that's not bad. But check the road conditions before you head out.
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, end of this month.

I love the temple idea but it would be a Tuesday so it's not open, and 4 pm may be too early a closing time to work out anyway.

Lassen: I was thinking 3 extra daylight hours not including the drive time, but now I'm not so sure we have that much time. I think we can be done and leaving Alturas by 12:30 pm, so that's 5-1/2 hours of daylight approx. How much time would we need to see something? I was thinking the Bumpass Trail if possible.

The beach recommended looks easy, and I see there are some pullouts at rocky promontories just to the north.

Old Oct 10th, 2023, 02:03 PM

Just quick re Lassen . . . I'd not plan on any hiking or anything but you can take 89 south from 299 at Four Corners and drive through the the whole park to the junction with hwy 36 through Mineral and out west to Red Bluff then down I-5 to Woodland. You'll see a lot.

On your drive from Redding out to Alturas be SURE to stop at MacArthur Burney State Park. The Falls are amazing. (and they don't dry up like many CA waterfalls)
Old Oct 11th, 2023, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

I like the waterfall. Still holding out hope that we can fit in a hike, although weather and mud will be factors, and I'm not so sure of the fitness of coworker.
Old Nov 3rd, 2023, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Trip over, amazing weather for field work, mostly 60 and sunny except Alturas which was 45 and sunny. The northern quarter of California is quite beautiful, the coast and the redwoods and gorges of the Trinity River, the volcanoes (Shasta still had some snow). I could not talk coworker into Burney Falls so missed that. We did spend several hours at Lassen and did the Bumpass Hell walk, interesting and good views but compared to Yellowstone or Iceland or NZ it's not much for thermal features but still worth it. Unfortunately most (?) of the park burned a couple years ago and the visual impact is pretty negative. Also the main peak would be a lot prettier with snow on it, nothing left this late in the fall.

I was worried about coworker handling the Bumpass walk considering his weight, but he did fine and it was mostly the altitude that required his taking breaks. You spend 15 hours a day with someone, day after day, and hear about practically everything. I heard about the weight issues over and over, the waiting list for Wegovy, the 5 pounds gained every year, the diet starting Monday, the wish to be able to cross country ski again. You hear this and then watch three 16 ounce sugary soft drinks go down every day, and the 2 bags candy eaten everyday-- well it was probably not well received but I told him: "The sugary drinks and the bags of candy, this is really low hanging fruit. Even if you leave your meal portions the same, just and cut out these 2 things and you will see changes you like pretty fast." Probably should have kept my mouth shut.

Last edited by tom_mn; Nov 3rd, 2023 at 10:27 AM.
Old Nov 3rd, 2023, 02:19 PM

Was wondering how the trip went. "Shasta still had some snow" I was in Mt Shasta Oct 18-19 and it was absolutely the least snow I've ever seen on the mountain. It was surprising because last season had record snow fall.

Its too bad about Burney Falls - it would have been an easy walk for your co-worker and is really glorious.
Old Nov 4th, 2023, 07:57 AM

Drive the entire Avenue of the Giants

and at the end go to the Rockefeller Grove, there should be signs for it. If you do not mind dirt roads, continue past the grove to Honeydew

and then Cape Mendocino. You will eventually come to Ferndale, from which you can region 101.

Farther north the Prairie Creek Redwood State Park's fern canyon worth a detour.

If you are looping around and going inland, Lassen NP is a natural stop

Last edited by Michael; Nov 4th, 2023 at 08:02 AM.
Old Nov 4th, 2023, 08:35 AM

Nice photos, Michael. Always like to hear how a trip went.
Old Nov 4th, 2023, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Michael: The current boardwalk at Bumpass Hell is substantially smaller than what is shown in your photo.
Old Nov 4th, 2023, 01:13 PM

Michael -- what are you on about? The trip is is over and done with . . . (TR in post #7)

tom_mm: "Also the main peak would be a lot prettier with snow on it, nothing left this late in the fall."

Meant to add, Lassen isn't the most beautiful of mountains at the best of times (as opposed to Shasta) but, yes, snow makes a big difference. The best things about Lassen are the huge variety of geological features and just the weirdness of some of it. I have photos of my roadster, top down, on 89 with 20+ foot sheer vertical walls of snow towering above on both sides of the road.
Old Nov 4th, 2023, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
Michael -- what are you on about? The trip is is over and done with . . . (TR in post #7)

tom_mm: "Also the main peak would be a lot prettier with snow on it, nothing left this late in the fall."

Meant to add, Lassen isn't the most beautiful of mountains at the best of times (as opposed to Shasta) but, yes, snow makes a big difference. The best things about Lassen are the huge variety of geological features and just the weirdness of some of it. I have photos of my roadster, top down, on 89 with 20+ foot sheer vertical walls of snow towering above on both sides of the road.
I did read all the posts and therefore did not notice that the trip was over.
Old Nov 4th, 2023, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by tom_mn
Michael: The current boardwalk at Bumpass Hell is substantially smaller than what is shown in your photo.
The photo was taken around 1985
Old Nov 4th, 2023, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

I have photos of my roadster, top down, on 89 with 20+ foot sheer vertical walls of snow towering above on both sides of the road.
Wild! Some other comments: Weaverville, did see the outside of the Joss Temple, but it was a Tuesday so not open (and also 6 pm). Weaverville goes all out for Halloween, the crossing guards are out in costume, and hordes of kids, kind of like a retro 60s Halloween. I have now visited 7 of the 9 national parks in CA, leaving Pinnacles and Channel Islands, probably will never see those. First one was Joshua Tree. Only large city not visited is San Jose, probably won't see that either. October works well for a California visit, can rain up north but I didn't experience that either trip, and of course there can be fires. No crowds anywhere though in October, redwood groves at Humboldt SP and also Lassen NP practically deserted.

One thing that is for sure is that it is impossible to generalize about California, even politically, although it is commonly done.

Maybe hit Burney Falls with a driving trip in the future, that also hits some wine areas, none of which I have never visited.