First Time to Greece--would appreciate any thoughts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2021, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of a relatively last minute trip to Greece given that you can just show your vaccination card; was thinking of Athens, Crete and Santorini for 10 days; I realize we will be going to mostly "tourist" spots but this isn't the year to be overly elaborate; would appreciate anyone who has recently been to Greece discussing whether it is best to leave Athens for the end since we will need a PCR test to leave (hoping that might change). Chania seems like a place we will like, as well as Oia. We enjoy history and hiking. Many thanks for any help. Best, Mary
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 10:06 PM

Personally, I think the travel time between these three places is too long for such a short visit. I'd choose places which are closer together. I'd want to be in Athens before departing for home as I'd feel uncomfortable about the potential of missing my flight home. And you wouldn't want to split your stay in Athens.

In confess I don't really understand why being vaccinated means it's safe to travel as it's still possible to be infected and contagious even if vaccinated. Vaccination just suppresses the symptoms. But it seems that people are travelling so if entry at your destination, then clearly they are accepting that risk.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 11:26 PM

Crete is only an hour away by air from Athens, so distance isn’t so much a factor. Ferries leave from Heraklion to Santorini, and there are flights from Santorini to Athens. The highspeed ferries between Heraklion and Santorini take less than 3 hours. Definitely leave Athens for last, and not just because of the PCR test. Occasionally strikes or weather cancel travel between Islands and the mainland, and you don’t want to be stuck on an island when it’s time to fly home from Athens. That doesn’t happen very often, but when it does there is nothing you can do.
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 05:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have to go to Athens go at the end.
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! Appreciate the thoughts on Athens--I think we will go to see the big sights and the PCR test seem easier to accomplish there. I just talked with someone who just came back and said there were no issues getting the test and that they had a wonderful trip; it was very safe and the Greeks are so appreciative that people are traveling to their country. Many thanks! Mary